Kate Kenyon: Family of Burnley mother speak of ‘heartbreaking nightmare’ as police reveal she died of head injuries | UK News


The family of Katie Kenyon have spoken of their “heartbreaking nightmare” after the mother’s body was found.

Ms Kenyon, 33, went missing on 22 April and after “extensive searches” of the Forest of Bowland in Lancashire her body was discovered.

Following a post-mortem examination, police said Ms Kenyon died of head injuries.

In a fundraising appeal to raise £10,000 for Ms Kenyon’s “send off”, her family said they were in a “heartbreaking nightmare” and she was “taken away from her children and family far too soon”.

It added that the page will also be used for Ms Kenyon’s son and daughter “and their future to fulfil Katie’s dreams she had planned with her children”.

Ms Kenyon was described as “a mum, daughter, granddaughter, sister, auntie, niece, cousin, friend and animal lover”.

It added: “Thank you for all your kind words and support. We know you’re all behind us”.

Andrew Burfield, 50, appeared at Preston Crown Court by video link from HMP Preston on Friday, charged with Ms Kenyon’s murder.

A court sketch of Andrew Burfield, 50, appearing via video-link from HMP Preston
A court sketch of Andrew Burfield, 50, appearing via video-link from HMP Preston

Burfield, from Burnley, spoke only to confirm his identity during the seven-minute hearing.

He was remanded in custody and a trial date was set for 14 November.

Ms Kenyon was last seen at about 9.30am on 22 April and vanished after being seen getting into a van in Burnley, Lancashire.

Map showing the key locations around Katie Kenyon's disappearance
Map showing the key locations around Katie Kenyon’s disappearance

A woman matching her description left an address in Burnley that morning, travelling about 17 miles in a silver Ford Transit van to the Bolton-by-Bowland area of north Lancashire.

Police prioritised searches in part of a forest following a tip-off from a member of the public.

More than 60 specialist search officers from four police forces scoured Gisburn Forest in the Ribble Valley in the search for her.

The hunt involved police and fire service officers, dog teams, mounted police, mountain rescue volunteers and drones.


Source link