Tracey Connelly, the mother of Baby P, who died after months of abuse, will be released from prison after the Parole Board rejected a government challenge against its ruling.
Connelly was jailed in 2009 over the death of her 17-month-old son, Peter, who suffered more than 50 injuries, including fractured ribs and a broken back.
The case sparked outrage as Baby P received 60 visits from social workers, police and health professionals over eight months.
The decision means the 40-year-old could be freed from prison within weeks.
Justice Secretary Dominic Raab had asked the Parole Board to reconsider their decision to release Connelly.
Responding to the decision, he said Connelly’s actions were “pure evil” and the choice made by the board demonstrates why it “needs a fundamental overhaul – including a ministerial check for the most serious offenders”.
Connelly was released on licence in 2013 but was recalled to prison just two years later for breaching her parole conditions.
In March, the Parole Board, which is independent of the government, decided she was fit for release, despite three bids for her to remain behind bars.
On Thursday, a spokesperson said that, following the appeal made by Mr Raab, a judge has ruled the original decision to release Connelly “was not irrational” and had been upheld.